Calming the Tantrum Storm: A Tactic all Mommas should learn!


Calming the Tantrum Storm: A Tactic all Mommas should learn!




Exhausted and frustrated to the core, but my dear tot will give up!...That is what the lil Kiddo taught me about Tantrums!


Just a week back, we trotted off to the nearest supermarket to get a few cartons of milk and get back home.

Oh by the way, the ‘We’ is being referred to my toddler (1.5 years of age) and me (his mother)!

Our day we started off quite well. My boy has crossed the first year of life and it is now that he began experimenting the various colors, textures and flavors of life. A lot of watchin life sure is good, but somehow he also learned the tactics of getting things in his favor through tantrums.

So, I guess I had to learn the lesson tantrums and I tell you- it can be so embarrassing!
Yes, it sure is one tactic all mothers ought to learn!

Lemme tell you, it ain’t easy and it is never something to get involved with. So, getting back to our shopping spree, I will just give you an idea of how tantrums feel like.
The milk aisle was right at the end of the supermarket, and before that we need to pass by so many aisles like the detergents, chocolates, toys, books and so on. Once we reached the toy section, he started nudging me for a ‘stuffed bear’.

I told him we will check it, but first I need to go and collect the milk . He looked undoubtedly at me, but consented. I was happy that I had convinced him and hurried off.
But you know, babies are smart and do have an excellent memory. He noticed that I bought the milk and went through another section to reach the counter. And that was the end of the Master Nice Baby!

A yell, and a yell and that went on. He just wouldn’t calm down. His distress calls were loud, stubborn and most of all- I was embarrassed to the core. I did know the reason and what he was constantly mumbling about, but the rest of onlookers did not.

But this was the first time, I has also seen his stubborn childish behavior a few months back at a party too. At that time, with a few advice from older parents and child experts on how to handle tantrums did give me an idea on how to console him.

Few lessons I learnt along this path of parenting are:

Be firm
Don’t ever and I mean- never lose your anger. Anger is a very tricky affair. You lose it, and you never know what and how you will be reacting to situations.



Talk to your child
Yeah, true they are small but they always have an ear of mommy language. Since they need something, they are willing to listen to you for a second. You do not need to give in to their pleas. Because once if you give in, they know that you will!


Be patient
Convincing little babies does take a lot of your time and energy, but you need to do it! So, be cool and understand that you can find a solution to this. They are already very sad and upset that you have not listened to them. So, do not shout and make them sadder.


Surroundings
Now, this is the most complicated part of a tantrum episode. If they burst in public places, first take time to get out of such an ambiance. Go to a place where it is quieter and you guys can be alone.


Shift attention
Your lil one is crying. Okay, do not get frustrated. Children can get distracted quickly. So, figure out things that they like and distract their immediate temper. It really works and that has helped me a lot!

Got any more ideas?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How My Daily walks has helped me fight the flab!

Stop taking care of your kids too much coz, it may harm them!

If Vacay could last a lil longer….